Kyle Holland

Default Wusthof nife set, new, top of the line

"Pennyaline" > wrote in
message ...
> "Wusthof!" wrote, in part:
> > (In case you are wondering why I am selling. Everyone has known we need
> > knives and like Wusthof. A few days after I bought this set on a
> > business trip, my wife got the word her parents are planning to gift
> > her a Wusthof set on her forthcoming birthday!

> <seeeeethe>
>
> I hate that. I absolutely hate that! The word is GIVE! They are planning

> GIVE her a set on her birthday, not GIFT her one!
>

> AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

From Webster's, see #3.

Main Entry: 1gift
Pronunciation: 'gift
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old Norse, something given, talent; akin to
Old English giefan to give
1 : a notable capacity, talent, or endowment
2 : something voluntarily transferred by one person to another without
compensation
3 : the act, right, or power of giving

Is English your first language? As a native speaker I can attest that using
gift as a verb is correct.

> AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

Methinks your frustration may have a deeper cause.