Posted to rec.food.cooking
J S J S is offline

Default NJ food facts

>>>Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 8:49pm From:
(Nancy*Young)
Funny, that's where I had my first jewish sloppy joe, from a little
Jewish deli on Vauxhall Road.
just curious, since this is my favorite sandwich, and I'd never heard of
them until jersey: what do you consider an autrhentic jewish sloppy joe?
I'm going to give this a shot. From memory:
3 layers of rye bread ... thin slices
a layer of turkey
a layer of roast beef
cole slaw
russian dressing
Not necessarily in that order. The turkey and roast beef were separated
by bread. Oddly enough, the sandwiches were very neat and, I think,
quartered. Not sloppy at all.
Anyone who knows better, feel free to step in. Okay, just for jokes, I
googled, and this is the first thing that popped up.
http://www.chowhound.com/topics/314663
nancy>>>>>
There were alot of good jewish deli,s on Vauxhall Rd.The one I remember
not nessecerally on that street were Tabachnick,s and Horowitz,s
They were made as you described although some places started making them
with cheese and grilled.Due to kosher details about dairy products
hybrids sarted emerging without cheese.We made them as one large
sandwich with all 3 meat items in the middle on rye or a roll,cole slaw
or saurkraut,russian dressing,a 3 inch thick monster...thus turkey
sloppy joes.or ham sloppy joes,etc(some even threw potato salad in the
middle-which surprisingly was quite good if you,ve never tried it!)
were(are) popular. Youd be amazed what combos are good if you step
outside the box and experiment a little.Everyone and their mother
started different versions..
Cheers Smitty

"Food, Art and Films,What else do you need?...Well.."