Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default NJ food facts

"kuvasz guy" > wrote

> On Oct 7, 8:49 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> > just curious, since this is my favorite sandwich, and I'd never heard
>> > of them until jersey: what do you consider an autrhentic jewish sloppy
>> > joe?

>> I'm going to give this a shot. From memory:
>>
>> 3 layers of rye bread ... thin slices
>> a layer of turkey
>> a layer of roast beef
>> cole slaw
>> russian dressing
>>
>> Not necessarily in that order. The turkey and roast beef
>> were separated by bread. Oddly enough, the sandwiches
>> were very neat and, I think, quartered. Not sloppy at all.
>>
>> Anyone who knows better, feel free to step in. Okay, just
>> for jokes, I googled, and this is the first thing that popped up.
>>
>> http://www.chowhound.com/topics/314663

> Pretty close to what I've had; I also like the version that used to be
> made locally -- it had ham and swiss cheese as well.

I could be wrong but that's probably not an authentic

JEWISH

sloppy joe.

(laughing) Yes, that's the idea.

> It was called a
> bigmouth, possibly because of the ham. I guess the cole slaw, russian
> dressing and rye make it authentic... I've had the version of
> the jewish sloppy joe made with pastrami -- good, but not the
> same...

I get a sandwich at this one place that is made with corned beef.
Very good but not exactly authentic. The discussion on that
link I posted was pretty amusing. Where I found sloppy joes
is probably one of the places they mentioned. I worked in
Short Hills at the time and a friend took me there for lunch.

nancy