Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones Kathi Jones is offline

Default Hospital Food (a DH Update)

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> "Becca" > wrote in message
>> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>>
>>> When my husband went in for his kidney stones for the umpteenth time,
>>> eldest daughter threatened to corn-row his beard (he looks like a
>>> cross between those GEICO cavemen and Rupert from Survivor) when he
>>> was asleep unless he got over himself and got better. Now that was
>>> motivation.

>> They tell me kidney stones are painful. Is there anything he can do to
>> stop the kidney stones from forming? Any vitamins? Diet? I hear you
>> should avoid oxalates.
>>
>> Becca

> He's been sifted and chipped at so they know what type of stones he makes.
> Told him to back off the iced tea as the chemical found in tea is also in
> his stones. They are heriditary as FBS has them as well.......we've just
> decided to change his name (a la Flintstone-style) to Joe Quarry....that
> and the fuzz on his face, sorta fits. He averages at least one big stone
> every two years. Largest blocked his left kidney, and it was huge, I want
> to say 7 cm, and had to be laser chipped out piece by piece. You can tell
> when he is trying to deal with another one......PMS symptoms and all, but
> in his case it's Passin' My Stone..
> -ginny

Oh, that's awful!! A friend of mine told me about his experience passing a
stone - he said he thought he was dying...or giving birth. As I can relate
to the giving birth part, and have had gall stones myself, I can sore of
understand it. But for a guy? That's terrible that he has to deal with it
every 2 years! Yikes!!

Kathi