Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Mr. Sardonicus Mr. Sardonicus is offline

Default Chilie Rellano (sp)

On Oct 3, 6:59 pm, brigmave > wrote:
> I need a recipe for the above named food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile_relleno is an anaheim or poblano
chile filled with cheese, dipped in egg batter and fried. No big deal.

> It was served with a kind of tomato sauce

Red chile sauce, like enchilada sauce can be obtained in cans and
heated in a pan.

Add some sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, crushed peanuts, squashed
bananas or plantains and an enchilada sauce becomes a "mole" (mo-lee,
not mo-lay).

>and green stuff that was mashed with some ovlives on top and some green
>onions that had been thinly sliced.

Guacamole is a sauce made of chunks of avocado. Buy some avocados,
wait for them to ripen and squash them up and add onions, garlic, oil
and vinegar or mayonnaise and spices as desired.

There's a Spanish version of mayonnaise called "ajioli" that doesn't
have milk or eggs in it.

> Therse were also served with some that looked like a hard chip

Totopos are dried corn tortillas that are deep fried in vegetable oil.

> and a red dip that had various things in it.

There are at least six red salsas that range from Salsa Mexicana which
is no spicier than gazpacho, through Salsa Ranchera which is hotter,
to Xni Pec that will make you sweat, make your nose run and blow the
top off your head HOT.

>I was too afraid to try it.

Buy some Salsa Mexicana in a can, or make your own at home. Dip a corn
chip into the salsa. Try it. If the salsa is too hot, eat more chips
without salsa. Salty chips dredge the active incredient of chiles out
of your mouth.

If you want to try spicy Mexican pickled onions and carrots, etc.,
look for "escabeche" in the Mexican section of your market.

> I also had a tacoe. It was filled with meats and cheese. Very
> difficult to eat. Everytime you put your fork in it and a knife to
> cut it into a bite it nearly flew across the plate. Interesting but
> would take eons to eat.

A taco is a sort of Mexican sandwich which you were supposed to eat
with your hands, not a knife and fork. Border Mexicans can eat a whole
meal without utensils, they scoop everything up with folded tortillas.

>Didn't see any other people trying them. We
> were in Riverside, CA visiting and they have a very large mexican
> area. In fact I think someone said it is mexican country or part of
> Mexico.

Tacos, tamales, enchiladas,burritos, refried beans and Mexican rice is
what ignorant welfare type Mexicans living along the border eat.They
think that's traditional Mexican food.

For a state with as many Mexicans as California has, they sure don't
know much about Mexican cooking.

> I would like the chilie recipe.

Now that you know it's just a chile relleno (stuffed chile) you can
find a million recipes for it by googling.

>The rest is just too overwhelming.

Once you realize that there are only about 20 items on the menu in a
Mexico taco joint like you were at, you will be underwhelmed by
Mexican border food.

Everything you ate was a sort of hors d'oeuvre called an "antojito".
You never got to the main course in the taco joint you visited.

You need to visit a "ristorante" to have a real Mexican dinner. The
best stuff will have the highest prices.