Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2006 Navarro Edelzwicker

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> A bit of Alsace trivia -
> A blend of noble varietals is rather a Gentil than an Edelzwicker, and this
> blend needs only Muscat to have the full set. Hugel makes a Gentil, e g, and
> that implies a significant presence of nobles.
> OTOH, this wine is no Alsatian, so I guess I matters little.
>
> Just wanted to point out that the rivets are busily being counted.

Thanks, Nils. I had wondered what the official difference between
Hugel's Gentil (readily available here for ~$7/bottle) and an
Edelzwicker. I had naively assumed Gentil to be a proprietary name
since I'd only ever seen it used by Hugel. Now, all is clear. Now that
you mention it, though, I usually get a fairly pronounced Muscat
character in Hugel's Gentil, so that's probably why I didn't make the
connection.

Mark Lipton