Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2006 Navarro Edelzwicker

Courtesy of a friend, we just got 8 bottles of Navarro wine in today and
opened a bottle to see how we'd fared:

2006 Navarro Vineyards Mendocino Edelzwicker ($10)
nose: minerals, stone fruit
palate: dry, fruity, peaches, a hint of citrus, stones, clean finish

An Alsace-inspired blend of Gewürztraminer, Riesling and Pinot Gris,
this wine was noteworthy for the dominance of the Riesling character,
though it had a greater sense of stone fruit than most dry Rieslings.
Altogether light and enjoyable, and a great harbinger of what else lies
in store for us with the remaining wines.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> Courtesy of a friend, we just got 8 bottles of Navarro wine in today and
> opened a bottle to see how we'd fared:
>
> 2006 Navarro Vineyards Mendocino Edelzwicker ($10)
> nose: minerals, stone fruit
> palate: dry, fruity, peaches, a hint of citrus, stones, clean finish
>
> An Alsace-inspired blend of Gewürztraminer, Riesling and Pinot Gris,
> this wine was noteworthy for the dominance of the Riesling character,
> though it had a greater sense of stone fruit than most dry Rieslings.
> Altogether light and enjoyable, and a great harbinger of what else lies
> in store for us with the remaining wines.

p.s. 13.5% ABV

Posted to alt.food.wine

A bit of Alsace trivia -
A blend of noble varietals is rather a Gentil than an Edelzwicker, and this
blend needs only Muscat to have the full set. Hugel makes a Gentil, e g, and
that implies a significant presence of nobles.
OTOH, this wine is no Alsatian, so I guess I matters little.

Just wanted to point out that the rivets are busily being counted.

Cheers!

Nils

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> A bit of Alsace trivia -
> A blend of noble varietals is rather a Gentil than an Edelzwicker, and this
> blend needs only Muscat to have the full set. Hugel makes a Gentil, e g, and
> that implies a significant presence of nobles.
> OTOH, this wine is no Alsatian, so I guess I matters little.
>
> Just wanted to point out that the rivets are busily being counted.

Thanks, Nils. I had wondered what the official difference between
Hugel's Gentil (readily available here for ~$7/bottle) and an
Edelzwicker. I had naively assumed Gentil to be a proprietary name
since I'd only ever seen it used by Hugel. Now, all is clear. Now that
you mention it, though, I usually get a fairly pronounced Muscat
character in Hugel's Gentil, so that's probably why I didn't make the
connection.

Mark Lipton