Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default Hospital Food (sort of a Brother Update)

Goomba38 wrote:

> On Oct 2, 12:58 am, "The Joneses" > wrote:
>
> > The last time he was in I knew he'd been fasting o'nite before a test. I, of
> > course, brought his favorite apple fritters, deep fried & coated in sugar
> > varnish, about a half pound. And a pint of strong coffee. The subsequent
> > blood sugar test (I had to show the medic how to do it) was a trifle high -
> > clear up to 135. When they attempted to give him insulin (he's not a
> > diabetic) I hit the roof. No more leaving people alone in the hospital.
> > Hardly ever anyway. I got to shower sometime.
> > I'm a nervous wreck.

> I tried responding to this last night but for some reason dejanews
> didn't post it?? Lemme try again-
> It is not uncommon at all to monitor blood glucose levels and
> administer insulin in NON-diabetic patients in the hospital these
> days. Research shows us that keeping blood glucose levels under very
> tight control (say 70-110 max) promotes better healing, fewer
> infections and far better outcomes. Injuries, Illnesses as well as
> some meds and special feeding regimes can temporarily raise glucose
> levels and these levels do not promote an ideal healing environment.
> This doesn't mean the patient is a diabetic *or* getting the wrong
> medicine. Perhaps someone just needed to do a better job explaining
> this to you and your husband, assuming this was the case?

*Nodding* Yes I was subjected tiny amounts of insulin every day while
asurgical inpatient. Since no one suggested seeing an endocrinologist I
assumed that diabetes wasn't an issue. Also had low blood sodium but
that's apparently to the vast amount of IV fluids administered pre- and
post-surgery. Had to promise to put more salt on my food to escape the
nasty salt tablets.

Such things should indeed be explained but probably that's not always
practical.