Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving
cybercat cybercat is offline

Default Hospital Food (a DH Update)

"Becca" > wrote

> They tell me kidney stones are painful. Is there anything he can do to
> stop the kidney stones from forming? Any vitamins? Diet? I hear you
> should avoid oxalates.

Lots of water. Vitamins are not supposed to be good because they
leave the sort of sediments that cause the stones. There is a hereditary
component--I saw my teenaged niece in agony from a stone, before she
was diagnoses, I held her on my lap on the emergency room floor
because it hurt too much for her to sit up in the chair. Her father also
had stones. She was odd--would order fast food and NO soda,
regularly. I know improper hydration was part of her problem.