Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default Hospital Food (sort of a Brother Update)

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Oct 2, 12:58 am, "The Joneses" > wrote:
>
>> The last time he was in I knew he'd been fasting o'nite before a test. I,
>> of
>> course, brought his favorite apple fritters, deep fried & coated in sugar
>> varnish, about a half pound. And a pint of strong coffee. The subsequent
>> blood sugar test (I had to show the medic how to do it) was a trifle
>> high -
>> clear up to 135. When they attempted to give him insulin (he's not a
>> diabetic) I hit the roof. No more leaving people alone in the hospital.
>> Hardly ever anyway. I got to shower sometime.
>> I'm a nervous wreck.

> I tried responding to this last night but for some reason dejanews
> didn't post it?? Lemme try again-
> It is not uncommon at all to monitor blood glucose levels and
> administer insulin in NON-diabetic patients in the hospital these
> days. Research shows us that keeping blood glucose levels under very
> tight control (say 70-110 max) promotes better healing, fewer
> infections and far better outcomes. Injuries, Illnesses as well as
> some meds and special feeding regimes can temporarily raise glucose
> levels and these levels do not promote an ideal healing environment.
> This doesn't mean the patient is a diabetic *or* getting the wrong
> medicine. Perhaps someone just needed to do a better job explaining
> this to you and your husband, assuming this was the case?

And so this was the case yesterday. His fasting blood sugar was over 200.
The nurse explained all that and also stress and large doses of steroids
used in conjunction with surgery & this condition, etc., etc. He got the
insulin, we didn't fuss. Now we know. Our nurse is a great guy.
Edrena