Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default Hospital Food (sort of a Brother Update)

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> The Joneses wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Went to visit Scott this morning. They finally moved him out of ICU
>>> to a regular room late yesterday. (Clipped Here & There)>
>>> He was given a choice of food to have for lunch. He selected a Cobb
>>> salad with a cup of Minestrone. They brought his lunch while I was
>>> there.
>>>
>>> He has a few complaints about the hospital food.
>>>
>>> Jill

Forthcoming - military hospital Bed Spread Report.
>> Edrena

> Thanks, Edrena. The PT guy came by to see him this afternoon. So far the
> prescribed therapy is walking. Lots of it. Seeing as how he nearly fell
> over (with assistance) trying to get to the bathroom and back to his
> hospital bed (and trying to put on his boxer shorts so he wouldn't just be
> in the hospital gown), this should be quite interesting.
>
> I like the term "Bed Spread"
>
> Jill

The last time he was in I knew he'd been fasting o'nite before a test. I, of
course, brought his favorite apple fritters, deep fried & coated in sugar
varnish, about a half pound. And a pint of strong coffee. The subsequent
blood sugar test (I had to show the medic how to do it) was a trifle high -
clear up to 135. When they attempted to give him insulin (he's not a
diabetic) I hit the roof. No more leaving people alone in the hospital.
Hardly ever anyway. I got to shower sometime.
I'm a nervous wreck.
OB food - found a new sort of tortilla wrap at Whole Foods subsidiary, high
protein (13 g per tort!), lower carb (12g?), low fat. Very tasty and pliable
as well:
name of Tofuyan or something similar. Very tasty indeed. We had leftover
chicken simmered with a bit of cumin & chipotle, homemade Spanish rice made
with leftover stuff & pico de gallo, lots of veggies, and some new sprouts.
I didn't tell him the sour cream was tofu sour cream. Not bad. Not the real
deal, but not half as much fat, and not bad at all, at all.
Edrena