Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
No Name

Default Sangiovese Recipe Help

"Nick" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:23:40 -0700, Joe Sallustio
> > wrote:
>
>>You need to define crushed and pressed a little better. If this is
>>hot pressed juice it can make a very nice, deeply colored red wine, if
>>it looks like a blush, no to little oak may make more sense. I
>>always add oak to reds and I usually blend. If this is mostly
>>fermented wine coming off the skins and it has some tannins and color
>>that is another matter too; I would definitely add oak.
>>
>>Joe

> I'm not certain of the proper terms, but it were 9 crates (lugs?) of
> the grapes put into a crusher and 10 minutes later there was a bit
> less than 30 gallons of juice. I was told that I would end up with
> about 5 gallons of sediment. The sediment might be crushed skins that
> passed through. The color is a deep enough red, but kind of hard to
> tell because it's a bit 'pastey' looking.
>
> Thanks for the replies. If the above details enhance another
> reply...please do. :-)
>
> Nick

Can the same technique used to make red zinfandel be utilized to make your
wine a deeper red?
Thant would be to leave the crushed skins in the primary fermentation until
the right gravity is obtained.
On the other hand if it is your first time with this type of grape what
would be wrong to begin the fermentation as is.
Then later on you can blend the Sangiovese with another robust wine or drink
it as it.