Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Nick[_3_] Nick[_3_] is offline

Default Sangiovese Recipe Help

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:23:40 -0700, Joe Sallustio
> wrote:

>You need to define crushed and pressed a little better. If this is
>hot pressed juice it can make a very nice, deeply colored red wine, if
>it looks like a blush, no to little oak may make more sense. I
>always add oak to reds and I usually blend. If this is mostly
>fermented wine coming off the skins and it has some tannins and color
>that is another matter too; I would definitely add oak.
>
>Joe

I'm not certain of the proper terms, but it were 9 crates (lugs?) of
the grapes put into a crusher and 10 minutes later there was a bit
less than 30 gallons of juice. I was told that I would end up with
about 5 gallons of sediment. The sediment might be crushed skins that
passed through. The color is a deep enough red, but kind of hard to
tell because it's a bit 'pastey' looking.

Thanks for the replies. If the above details enhance another
reply...please do. :-)

Nick