Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike Avery Mike Avery is offline

Default French Fries

DougW wrote:

> Remember to cook in small batches, allowing the oil to come back
> up to temperature.
>
> As for temp, 400 is a bit high and might not cook thicker fries
> through before they start to burn on the outside.
>
> Try cooking them longer at a lower temperature 300 till they
> just start to turn from translucent to pale gold (6-10 min),
> then put them out to drain for about 30 min (up to 1 hour).
> Then turn the heat up to 375 and put them back in till
> they start to turn golden. (2-4 min) That makes them very
> crispy on the outside.
>
> As for seaoning, I rather like a bit of BBQ seasoning sprinkled
> over them. Same stuff you use for dry coating.
>
> The alternative is to bake some potatos then let them cool.
> Refrigerate, then later you cut them into slices (1/8" thick)
> and just drop them into an oiled frying pan to brown. Same
> rough idea as the fries, but they work better for breakfast.

And, if you want true excellence, I hear that horse fat is preferred in
Europe. However, there IS an easier way.

Peel the potatoes if you want. I like the skins on 'em. Clean 'em if
you don't peel 'em.

Slice the potatoes so they are about 3/8" on a side. Put them in a
pot. Cover them with liquid vegetable oil. Put a thermometer in the
oil and put the pot on your range. Turn the burner under the pot up to
full heat. When the temperature of the oil is around 325 to 350F, the
fries are done. You might want a different temp, depending on how crisp
and dark you like your fries. How long it takes depends on your range.
I'm at 7,700 feet above sea level, which reduces the btus considerably,
so it takes about 45 minutes. It would take that long to heat the oil too.

When the oil is at temp, turn off the heat, remove the fries, put 'em on
paper toweling to dry. Sprinkle with salt, seasoned salt, bbq
seasoning, dehydrated habaneros or whatever floats your boat.

I got the recipe from, "The Man Who Ate Everything." The author is a
food reviewer for a big magazine and a judge on Iron Chef America. A
chapter of the book is devoted to french fries. Another chapter is
devoted to catsup. I thought there was NO way this would work, so I had
to try it. It works great! The fries are crisp and are not greasy.

Oh, yeah, he said the horse fat worked very well, but not that much
better than lard.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Think hard now! Which one is Shinola?