Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
snpm snpm is offline

Default Reducing Juices before Fermentation

On Sep 23, 11:21 am, "Joel Crum" > wrote:
> I've got around 10 gallons of prickly pear juice with a specific gravity of
> 1.38. I don't need 10 more gallons of wine, and 4% alcohol seems a little
> weak. Consequently, I've been thinking of boiling it to reduce it by 3 or 4
> gallons before I ferment. Do you guys think this will hurt my mus

My experience is that you need two pounds of sugar per 6-8 pounds of
fruit to get prickly pear cactus fruit (PPCJ) must to the 1100's,
which is my target for OG. Are you averse to adding sugar? I wouldnt
boil it that long if I were you..I tried an experiemental batch of
PPCJ with a long boil because I have had problems with a bad mouth
feel from this must. Some writers say a long boil alleviates this. The
batch is not ready yet (minimum 12 months, best at 18) but both the
color and the flavor have suffered.

Good luck

Sean