Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Reducing Juices before Fermentation

I've got around 10 gallons of prickly pear juice with a specific gravity of
1.38. I don't need 10 more gallons of wine, and 4% alcohol seems a little
weak. Consequently, I've been thinking of boiling it to reduce it by 3 or 4
gallons before I ferment. Do you guys think this will hurt my must?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Posting this in multiple groups???

I would try to freeze it instead of boiling...

Joel Crum wrote:
> I've got around 10 gallons of prickly pear juice with a specific gravity of
> 1.38. I don't need 10 more gallons of wine, and 4% alcohol seems a little
> weak. Consequently, I've been thinking of boiling it to reduce it by 3 or 4
> gallons before I ferment. Do you guys think this will hurt my must?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Boiling will produce furfural compound from the sugars.
These alter flavour also they are yeast inhibitors an may cause
fermentation problems.

Bob M
www.molab.co.nz

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Try adding a sugar to increase the brix. 1/2 pound of sugar will raise
the brix 1 point in five gallons.

Joel Crum wrote:
> I've got around 10 gallons of prickly pear juice with a specific gravity of
> 1.38. I don't need 10 more gallons of wine, and 4% alcohol seems a little
> weak. Consequently, I've been thinking of boiling it to reduce it by 3 or 4
> gallons before I ferment. Do you guys think this will hurt my must?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 23, 2:21 pm, "Joel Crum" > wrote:
> I've got around 10 gallons of prickly pear juice with a specific gravity of
> 1.38. I don't need 10 more gallons of wine, and 4% alcohol seems a little
> weak. Consequently, I've been thinking of boiling it to reduce it by 3 or 4
> gallons before I ferment. Do you guys think this will hurt my must?

I assume you really mean 1.038; freezing is a better option as has
been mentioned. You can use big freezer bags. Let it thaw to about
half volume through a funnel to concentrate it. Sugaring is not
uncommon either.

4% would never keep well, you are better off getting to 10% ABV by
either sugaring or freeze concentrating.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 23, 11:21 am, "Joel Crum" > wrote:
> I've got around 10 gallons of prickly pear juice with a specific gravity of
> 1.38. I don't need 10 more gallons of wine, and 4% alcohol seems a little
> weak. Consequently, I've been thinking of boiling it to reduce it by 3 or 4
> gallons before I ferment. Do you guys think this will hurt my mus

My experience is that you need two pounds of sugar per 6-8 pounds of
fruit to get prickly pear cactus fruit (PPCJ) must to the 1100's,
which is my target for OG. Are you averse to adding sugar? I wouldnt
boil it that long if I were you..I tried an experiemental batch of
PPCJ with a long boil because I have had problems with a bad mouth
feel from this must. Some writers say a long boil alleviates this. The
batch is not ready yet (minimum 12 months, best at 18) but both the
color and the flavor have suffered.

Good luck

Sean