Posted to rec.food.sourdough
[email protected] erichjseifert@gmail.com is offline

Default Refrigerator Sourdough

On Sep 21, 11:47 am, "
> wrote:
> > Good luck!

> >http://samartha.net/SD/docs/DW-post1...samartha.net/S...

> Thumbing through Hammelmann's book, I noted him paraphrasing Calvel
> that at regular fridge temps the yeasts in sourdoughs die off, this
> being unfavorable in thier opinion. Others--Reinhardt, Wing, et al.--
> claim a slow down and even dormancy but make no claim to the yeast die
> off, nor to any negative consequences of retarding at those low
> temps.

Correction. Hammelmann QUOTED Calvel to the effect that some of the
microflora is destroyed at refridgeration temps, ruining the flavor of
the bread. The statement regarding destruction of sourdough yeasts,
however, was attributed another baker whose title was given as MASTER
rather than PROFESSOR. But the question of fact remains.

My apologies for the error.

-Erich