Posted to rec.food.historic
Michael Kuettner Michael Kuettner is offline

Default "Optional service charge"

"TMOliver" > schrieb

> "Michael Kuettner" > wrote

<snip>

> Interesting that the meat-filled pastries havea different name (at least for
> Austrians).

Err, no, they don't.
I guess I was imprecise in my wording.
Golatschen (aka Teigtascherln) are as varied as Strudel.
They range from meat and kraut over curds with raisins to apricot
fillings.

> I suspect that the local bakers who found kolace popular in the larger market,
> kept the name to avoid customer confusion. The local versions less delicate
> than your, simply a square of yeast-risen, egg-enriched bread-type dough,
> slightly sweetened, in which the filling is placed in a depressed center.

That sounds depressing.

> Your "curds", our "cottage cheese", and the continued existence of poppy seed
> for traditionalists shows that some facets change less than others.

Yep.

> For us, different folks make different krauts, and the local homemade version
> is served slightly sweetened (a classic alteration of ethnic cuisines landing
> in a place where sugar was cheap and plentiful) and usually has caraway/kummel
> seeds, unlike some of the "deli" versions that come seedless or with dill
> seed.

<shudder>
Dill has it's place with pickled gherkins, but should be kept a long way from
kraut.
Unlike the Germans, we don't use sauerkraut too much in the kitchen.
It's mostly just served as a salad.

> One of my childhood favorites, always served at the weddings of the nursing
> students who had come to the local Catholic hospital (and to which my family
> was often invited, because Dad taught the surgical procedures class and was
> much admired for his gallantry - and much recommended to their families and
> friends, sources of "payment in kind" in lean years, a feature of a doctor's
> household) was a "salad" of beets and hard-boiled eggs which I see no more,
> vaguely Russian?

Ah yes, Rote-Beete-Salat (eggs are optional).
More common (in Styria) is green salad with vinegar and "Kernoel" (pumpkin-
seed oil) and thin slices of boiled egg on top.

> There are dozens of recipes for "German" potato salad. Yours, using the beef
> stock is interesting, and seems closer to the local "rural/Czech" version
> than the fancy kitchen recipes.

It's an old recipe.
Tomorrow I'll cook "Faschierte Laiberl" (the Austrian urversion of the
hamburger) with potato salad (made with Kernöl and the beef-vinegar
mix).

> The post-wedding meals usually held at one of a number of "lodge halls"
> (SPJST, the Czech fraternal group and insurance provider) in the crossroads
> communities, were and still are "groaning boards", outdoors in good weather,
> bicultural blends of Central Europe meets the US South.

Well, the "groaning boards" are still alive in rural areas all over Europe.
They aren't typically Central E.

> We have no Vienna that I know of, but Tokio, Warsaw and Moscow, as well as Old
> Dime Box, Dime Box and Notrees (where there are no trees).

Well, and us Australians even have a ****ing (sadly now incorporated into
a greater town).

<snip>
>> The Austria<->Australia confusion is one of the oldest Usenet-jokes.
>> Esp. Merkins seem unable to keep the two apart, as demonstrated by
>> Bush recently.
>>
>> G'day matey,
>>

> In fact, for regular contributors to alt.folklore.urban, the Antipodean
> subcontinent is clearly Austria, while Australia is cradled in the Alps. Of
> course, Austrians may be easily identified on the street. Their watches have
> the 12 at the bottom and the 6 on top.

Except when they visit Australia. Then the Coriolis force causes the watches
to spin ccounter-clockwise ...

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner