Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Chapoutier, Leonetti, Grahams, Shafer, Fox Creek

On Sep 7, 8:21 pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
> Monthly blind tasting notes:
>
> Scholtz Hermanos Malaga 'Lagrima' 10 year old - my experience with
> Malagas has been limited and unfavourable - simple cloying wines made
> from PX and Moscadelo. This one was definitely fun, though. Can't
> recall a wine that was brown with green edges before! he colour and
> consistency of treacle, it was luscious rather than cloying and had a
> finish that had sufficient acidity to balance out the no doubt high
> residual sugar.

Fine Malaga is hardly made these days. Some of the best examples of
older vintages could live for well over 100 years, but in recent times
fine Malaga has become nearly impossible to find. The best quality,
when made in the traditional method, is Lagrima (The "tears" of
uncrushed grapes). The sun concentrates the sugars in Lagrima, not
noble rot as in Tokay. The older Lagrimas made in this classic style
often were vintage wines that were rather old when sold. I have no
idea how much the 10 year old has in common with classic style Lagrima
other than great sweetness. Was this a wine made recently, or did
someone cellar it for many years or buy it at auction? Many better
Malaga producers went out of business in the last few decades.

The color you describe reminds me of some fine very old vintage
Maderias, they are amber in color, and some modify this color
description to gold-amber, orange-amber, or yellow amber. Many display
some green color around the rim. This has been mentioned by Broadbent
and others, and I have seen it. The green is often fairly light and
subtle - nothing like bright grass-green. It can best be seen near a
window with a good north light against a light background.