Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Chapoutier, Leonetti, Grahams, Shafer, Fox Creek

Monthly blind tasting notes:

1997 Tyrells Vat 1 Semillon (Hunter Valley) - much better bottle than
the last one I had. Some vanilla in the nose, and some coconut and
citrus, smooth on palate and quite crisp. Hold or drink.

2002 Chaddsford Chambourcin Seven Valleys Vineyard - absolutely no
clues as to the non-vinifera hybrid nature of the grape. Made in
Pennsylvania, this wine had the colour of a pinot, the nose of a syrah
(bit spicy), and was very presentable if a bit puzzling when tasted
blind.

1994 Chapoutier Cornas - while I have some of the slightly better 1995
(and I mean that in terms of structure and ageability), this 1994 was
a very pleasant surprise. We narrowed down to Cornas pretty quickly.
The blood and green olive nose and dark colour along with a slightly
rustic feel sent us in that direction. Now fully mature but no rush.

2000 Quinta do Crasto Reserve - it took a little floundering to get to
Portugal. I am delighted to have tasted this as I have a case waiting
for prime time use. Purple with a sweetish ripe nose, featuring berry
scents, smooth on palate and medium long. Very nice and will hold -
just hitting prime time.

2004 Quinta do Vallado - also a Douro wine, this was simpler with a
fresh youthful nose, and sweeter with spice on palate. At a quite low
price it is one to buy by the case.

1984 Shafer Hillside Select - the owner was worried about how this
would have held up but there was no problem. Pale edges, lovely mature
nose, lots of acidity, and the tannins were still there but well
resolved. Fully mature, enjoyable and the acidity not quite high
enough to be a problem.

1994 Leonetti Merlot - sweet vanilla and cocoa nose lead the tasters
(it was my wine) to merlot pretty quick and the structure headed some
toward Washington. Very good flavour intensity, good length, the
tannins well resolved and a significantly better showing than the 1993
has been.

1997 Tenuta la Palazza Graf Noir - a new one on all of us from Italy.
55% sangiovese, 15% cab franc, and 30% uva longanesi (never heard of
this one). fairly young with tannins and acidity about equal, dry
finish, bit of chocolate. Nice but nothing special.

1998 Fox Creek JSM - named after the owners' kids, the blend is
shiraz, cab sauv and cab franc. Still dark, with a nice mint and
raspberry nose, lots of concentration and sweet and hot in the finish,
which had good length. I keep saying I must find mine in the cellar (I
have a case and a half) and now I really MUST find it as this wine is
drinking so well right now!

2001 RBJ Vox Populi - an Oz wine made mostly from Grenache, this was
showing surprising age in both colour and in the mouth. A couple of
people swore it was corked yet failed to detect any hint of TCA.
Smoky, oily nose, medium weight, lots of wood.

1991 Grahams Port - this one fooled me - I thought it was showing the
maturity to be a 1985 and I swore it wasn't a Grahams as it lacked the
typical sweetness. Dark with a sweet hot nose that didn't show any
particular fruit, and pretty well integrated, especially for this
vintage. I find I have a half case of this as well and will make a
mental note (sop easily misplaced) to consider it for drinking.

Scholtz Hermanos Malaga 'Lagrima' 10 year old - my experience with
Malagas has been limited and unfavourable - simple cloying wines made
from PX and Moscadelo. This one was definitely fun, though. Can't
recall a wine that was brown with green edges before! he colour and
consistency of treacle, it was luscious rather than cloying and had a
finish that had sufficient acidity to balance out the no doubt high
residual sugar.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 7, 8:21 pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
> Monthly blind tasting notes:
>
> Scholtz Hermanos Malaga 'Lagrima' 10 year old - my experience with
> Malagas has been limited and unfavourable - simple cloying wines made
> from PX and Moscadelo. This one was definitely fun, though. Can't
> recall a wine that was brown with green edges before! he colour and
> consistency of treacle, it was luscious rather than cloying and had a
> finish that had sufficient acidity to balance out the no doubt high
> residual sugar.

Fine Malaga is hardly made these days. Some of the best examples of
older vintages could live for well over 100 years, but in recent times
fine Malaga has become nearly impossible to find. The best quality,
when made in the traditional method, is Lagrima (The "tears" of
uncrushed grapes). The sun concentrates the sugars in Lagrima, not
noble rot as in Tokay. The older Lagrimas made in this classic style
often were vintage wines that were rather old when sold. I have no
idea how much the 10 year old has in common with classic style Lagrima
other than great sweetness. Was this a wine made recently, or did
someone cellar it for many years or buy it at auction? Many better
Malaga producers went out of business in the last few decades.

The color you describe reminds me of some fine very old vintage
Maderias, they are amber in color, and some modify this color
description to gold-amber, orange-amber, or yellow amber. Many display
some green color around the rim. This has been mentioned by Broadbent
and others, and I have seen it. The green is often fairly light and
subtle - nothing like bright grass-green. It can best be seen near a
window with a good north light against a light background.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 9, 1:31 am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
I have no
> idea how much the 10 year old has in common with classic style Lagrima
> other than great sweetness. Was this a wine made recently, or did
> someone cellar it for many years or buy it at auction? Many better
> Malaga producers went out of business in the last few decades.

This came from the former head of our Spanish wine society who had
picked it up in Spain. Special bottle indeed.

BTW, I was mistaken on the Cornas - it was indeed a 1995

Posted to alt.food.wine
DPM DPM is offline

"Bill S." > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Monthly blind tasting notes:
>

> 2002 Chaddsford Chambourcin Seven Valleys Vineyard - absolutely no
> clues as to the non-vinifera hybrid nature of the grape. Made in
> Pennsylvania, this wine had the colour of a pinot, the nose of a syrah
> (bit spicy), and was very presentable if a bit puzzling when tasted
> blind.

Bill, we see a fair amount of Chambourcin here in the East (I'm in PA).
I've been underwhelmed by most of the ones I've tasted - thin, unripe,
acidic, little or no fruit. I had one a number of years ago that had so
much sulfur/rubber stink as to be unpalatable, but this was probably
attributable to lousy winemaking rather than the grape itself. Chaddsford
is one of our best local producers, and they do some nice cab/cab
franc/merlot singles and blends. Nice whites, too.

Regards,
Dean

Posted to alt.food.wine

I am not (to say the least) a fan of hybrid grapes, but this was not
only not obviously hybrid, it was also a decent wine. Might be worth
you looking it up and giving them a try as long as this wasn't a one
shot wonder....

2004 Leonetti Merlot Bill S. Wine 0 02-01-2007 04:01 PM
Meursault, Panther Creek, La Lagune, Leonetti Bill S. Wine 5 05-04-2006 06:42 PM
Torres, Leonetti, Mann, Ridge, Guiraud..... Bill S. Wine 0 03-09-2005 07:47 PM
Araujo, Shafer, Chapoutier, etc. Bill Spohn Wine 0 03-08-2004 03:56 PM
TN 75 Grahams John Taverner Wine 0 24-01-2004 12:52 PM