Posted to alt.food.wine
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default VRAC vs. Kirkland's Chateauneuf du Pape

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 22:04:34 -0400
> "Dee Dee" > wrote:
>
>> http://www.wineaccess.com/store/gary...ct_id=10941073
>> VRAC Cotes du Rhone - 2006 - purchased for $7.99 at Gary's
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2oqncn
>> Kirkland Chateauneuf du Pape - 2005 purchased at $19.99
>>

>> I had put down on my list to buy another bottle of du Pape, but DH said
>> let's try the VRAC and compare. We both found so little difference that
>> we
>> didn't even bother to blind taste test.
>>

> Sounds like a great operation! If you get what seems the same for $8 US
> as what
> used to cost $20, you're way ahead.
>
> What is "Vrac?" Some kind of negociant?
>
> In France "vrac" just means "bulk" (more or less, or "loose" I suppose,
> never looked
> it up). When you buy wine "en vrac" you bring your jug or barrel to a
> sort of
> gas pump, and fill it up. Great way to buy sometimes, we have even
> bottled
> ourselves on occasion although I'm not sure I'd go to the trouble now.
>
> I didn't see anything useful on the labels, but I must say I find calling
> a wine "vrac" (and then charging 8 bucks for it) very bizarre!
>
> -E
> --
> Emery Davis

Yes, I believe on the back of the VRAC bottle, it did say, it meant bulk
wine.

What I find more bizarre is that it tasted as good as the du Pape that I
paid $20 for. I just can't understand that. If it were just me, I'd chalk
it up to 'my taster," but DH felt the same way. Perhaps the du Pape wasn't
as good as it should have been.
Dee