Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default Making bread rise without yeast + recipe for white bread

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 14:36:26 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>>> Sweepstakes White Bread (Half recipe - 2 large loaves)
>>> 1 cup milk scalded

>> Why scalded? There's no reason to scald milk anymore, not since the
>> advent of pasteurization.

> Pasteurization has nothing to do with it. Scalding milk
> deactivates proteins/enzymes that inhibit gluten formation.
> Scalding brings milk to a higher temperature than any of the
> pasteurization techniques in use by bottlers.
>
> -sw

I believe there are different methods of pasteurization, as you probably
already know; i.e., flash, etc. bringing it up to a certain degree for a
certain length of time.

However, I believe that scalding is 185, isn't it. Or maybe 180.

When I make ice cream, (and it is from raw milk, so it is not pasteurized) I
do bring it up to 185. I don't do this for pasteurization.

Dee Dee