Dick Adams

Default Want recipe for hard Italian rolls

"Robert Knighten" > wrote in message

> About the size of a Subway roll - a foot long and about the same =

height - but
> a crusty roll with a much more substantial distribution of bubbles. A =

light
> bread - certainly no more than 8 oz. for a loaf, but also a reasonably =

tough
> bread so there is something to chew. And of course some actual flavor =

to the
> bread.

You might check out
http://www.cookingwithcrack.com/bread/sequence2/
which covers most of the bases for the kind of bread you
seem to be seeking.

It's a fatter loaf than for a sub sandwich, but that is easy to
fix. Use of small amount of kamut flour is entirely optional,
as I see it.

> Do any of you make your own sub rolls? If so how do you do it?

Not me. Skinny loaves dry out fast, and require more work to
shape, since a dough batch yields more such loaves. But the
small loaves are more likely to get a holey crumb when "proofed"
and baked in the usual way (on a preheated "stone").

The technique of "proofing" multiple loaves in folds of linen cloth,
and flipping them onto a "peel", "slashing", and sliding* onto the
hot stone might be useful. Otherwise the use of baguette pans
like Marcella likes, can be useful.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...208122003@net=
news.attbi.com
(Nice photo there!)

* Peel sprinkled with granular matter to facilitate sliding. The
variety of possibilities for such granules stimulates long threads
whenever the subject comes up.

--
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname>at bigfoot dot com