Old 13-12-2003, 04:38 AM
Robert Knighten

Default Want recipe for hard Italian rolls

I've been hunting for a recipe for hard Italian rolls suitable for subs. I've
found a few suggestions based on baguettes, cuban rolls and various soft
rolls, but I am particularly fond of the rolls used for subs in South Boston
thirty of so years ago which were quite different.

My wife is actually the baker and she is a serious sourdough fan, so it would
be greatly preferred if I could find a sourdough recipe.

Any help?

Thank you.

--
Robert L. Knighten

Old 13-12-2003, 04:54 PM
Dick Adams

"Robert Knighten" wrote in message

rolls used for subs in South Boston thirty of so years ago
which were quite different.

Different how?

Could it be that some old-timers in old-time South Boston
bakeries might have some memories left?

Recipe probably is flour, water, salt, & leavening. All the
rest is in the details.

Like what equipment is available, for instance?

(Could the Schlotsky Bun be substituted?? -- "Bob" is working
on that.)

(How do you think a Baloney Sandwich on a Schlotsky Bun,
served with Kimchee, would go over in South Boston?)

---
DickA

Old 13-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Bob

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 15:54:19 GMT, "Dick Adams"
wrote:

rolls used for subs in South Boston thirty of so years ago
which were quite different.

(Could the Schlotsky Bun be substituted?? -- "Bob" is working
on that.)

Not any more. I can make sourdough that is far better than anything
Schlotzsky's has to offer. The technique to making bread with such an
open crumb is to make it very slack.

(How do you think a Baloney Sandwich on a Schlotsky Bun,
served with Kimchee, would go over in South Boston?)

Not baloney, fer crap sakes. You put deep-fried lemon-herb catfish on
a sourdough bun.

And once you get hooked on kimchi, you will want it at every meal as
well as for a snack.

Why are all the really great tasting things in life fermented, such as
beer, sourdough, kimchi, etc.?

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/
Old 13-12-2003, 05:27 PM
Kenneth

On 12 Dec 2003 19:38:58 -0800, Robert Knighten
wrote:

I am particularly fond of the rolls used for subs in South Boston
thirty of so years ago which were quite different.

Hi Robert,

Please say more about 'em. Anything you can remember may trigger ideas
that will allow folks her to point you in the right direction.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Old 13-12-2003, 05:29 PM
Kenneth

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:27:45 -0500, Kenneth
wrote:

folks her

Ooops... "folks here"

--
Kenneth

Old 13-12-2003, 05:42 PM
HeatherInSwampscott

Dick Adams wrote:

(How do you think a Baloney Sandwich on a Schlotsky Bun,
served with Kimchee, would go over in South Boston?)

Sounds good to me, it must be lunch time!

Heather
_amaryllisATyahooDOTcom

Old 13-12-2003, 08:05 PM
Dick Adams

"Kenneth"
wrote in message ...

Anything you can remember may trigger ideas that will
allow folks her to point you in the right direction.

Wrong directions are also among the possibilities.

Beware of nOObie nOnsense (and Senior Senescence).

And Audacious Assholishiness ...

---
Yours truly,
DickA

Old 13-12-2003, 10:23 PM
Bob

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:15:08 GMT, Darva Conger
wrote:

And once you get hooked on kimchi, you will want it at every meal as
well as for a snack.

as long as you eat it in the dark and don't have to look at it.

You don't like your food staring back at you?

Old 14-12-2003, 06:06 AM
Robert Knighten

Kenneth writes:

Please say more about 'em. Anything you can remember may trigger ideas
that will allow folks her to point you in the right direction.

About the size of a Subway roll - a foot long and about the same height - but
a crusty roll with a much more substantial distribution of bubbles. A light
bread - certainly no more than 8 oz. for a loaf, but also a reasonably tough
bread so there is something to chew. And of course some actual flavor to the
bread.

Do any of you make your own sub rolls? If so how do you do it?

--
Robert L. Knighten

Old 14-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Dick Adams

"Robert Knighten" wrote in message

About the size of a Subway roll - a foot long and about the same =

height - but
a crusty roll with a much more substantial distribution of bubbles. A =

light
bread - certainly no more than 8 oz. for a loaf, but also a reasonably =

tough
bread so there is something to chew. And of course some actual flavor =

to the
bread.

You might check out
http://www.cookingwithcrack.com/bread/sequence2/
which covers most of the bases for the kind of bread you
seem to be seeking.

It's a fatter loaf than for a sub sandwich, but that is easy to
fix. Use of small amount of kamut flour is entirely optional,
as I see it.

Do any of you make your own sub rolls? If so how do you do it?

Not me. Skinny loaves dry out fast, and require more work to
shape, since a dough batch yields more such loaves. But the
small loaves are more likely to get a holey crumb when "proofed"
and baked in the usual way (on a preheated "stone").

The technique of "proofing" multiple loaves in folds of linen cloth,
and flipping them onto a "peel", "slashing", and sliding* onto the
hot stone might be useful. Otherwise the use of baguette pans
like Marcella likes, can be useful.
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]=
news.attbi.com
(Nice photo there!)

* Peel sprinkled with granular matter to facilitate sliding. The
variety of possibilities for such granules stimulates long threads
whenever the subject comes up.

--
Dick Adams
firstname dot lastnameat bigfoot dot com

Old 14-12-2003, 06:44 PM
ab

BEHOLD! The latest in newbie bashing from MR. Adams, otherwise known as Ben
A, Newbie-Never.

As usual has nothing to contribute, so lashes out with viciousness and
degradation.

Don't despair he may come up with something that will do more than take up
computer space yet.

Hail to our omnipotent sourdough guru. Long may he diatribe!

Hey gang, maybe we could chip in and buy Mr. A. a basket weaving kit. Does
wonders for the mentally ill I am told.

AB

Old 14-12-2003, 07:23 PM
Bob

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:44:54 GMT, "ab" wrote:

BEHOLD! The latest in newbie bashing from MR. Adams, otherwise known as Ben
A, Newbie-Never.

As usual has nothing to contribute, so lashes out with viciousness and
degradation.

Don't despair he may come up with something that will do more than take up
computer space yet.

Hail to our omnipotent sourdough guru. Long may he diatribe!

Hey gang, maybe we could chip in and buy Mr. A. a basket weaving kit. Does
wonders for the mentally ill I am told.

A new crock pot, perhaps.

The one he has now is filled with rye glop that has hardened like
cement from trying to cook it on a Low setting.

Anyone who has ever cooked rye glop in a crock pot knows you have to
set it on High. jeez

Old 14-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Dick Adams

"ab" wrote in message =

[ ... ] ( full requote of =

)

BEHOLD! The latest in newbie bashing from MR. Adams ... =20

Jeez, Mr. AB-Man, if you hated it, why'd you play it all again?

"Bob" wrote in message =

[ ... ] ( full requote of all the above)

(Yet another crock-pot crack) (deleted)

Can't guess what it was that you One-name nOObies took personally,
including the one who doesn't quite have even one name.

(Fractional-name nOObie!)

r.f.s. FAQ quide at http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Newcomer tips at http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/newcomertips.html

(Please see Newcomer Tips, Item. # 4.)

---
( )
(nO-name NOObie)

Old 14-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Robert Knighten

"Dick Adams" writes:

You might check out
http://www.cookingwithcrack.com/bread/sequence2/
which covers most of the bases for the kind of bread you
seem to be seeking.

It's a fatter loaf than for a sub sandwich, but that is easy to
fix. Use of small amount of kamut flour is entirely optional,
as I see it.

Do any of you make your own sub rolls? If so how do you do it?

Not me. Skinny loaves dry out fast, and require more work to
shape, since a dough batch yields more such loaves. But the
small loaves are more likely to get a holey crumb when "proofed"
and baked in the usual way (on a preheated "stone").

Thank you for the pointers, but it's exactly the "easy to fix" transition to a
sub size roll that has not proved easy here. I've got both loaves such as
shown on that website, and fist sized rolls produced with extra pizza dough
and baked on a very hot stone much as I bake pizza. But no success with the
sub rolls. [I should say again that my wife is really the baker - even with
the pizza she makes the dough which I bake.]

--
Robert L. Knighten

Old 14-12-2003, 10:21 PM
Janet Bostwick

"Robert Knighten" wrote in message
Thank you for the pointers, but it's exactly the "easy to fix" transition

to a
sub size roll that has not proved easy here. I've got both loaves such as
shown on that website, and fist sized rolls produced with extra pizza

dough
and baked on a very hot stone much as I bake pizza. But no success with

the
sub rolls. [I should say again that my wife is really the baker - even

with
the pizza she makes the dough which I bake.]

--
Robert L. Knighten

Will this work?

http://tinyurl.com/z7sy