Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Making bread rise without yeast

jmm1951 wrote:

> I am always playing around with different ideas and ways of
> economizing. SInce yeast is kind of expensive (relative to flour and
> salt) when you get it in individual packets, (though cheaper when
> bought at Sam's Club.

Yeast is actually relatively inexpensive compared with everything else
involved with bread baking (the typical single loaf of white bread
costs more to bake than all it's ingredients combined). Claiming
yeast is expensive within the realm of baking bread is like saying
fountain pen ink is expensive in relation to pens. Also, if you're
going to bake the occasional loaf why does the price of yeast
matter... and if you bake more than occasionally and/or are a cheapB
then you'd just be a great big fool by not buying bulk yeast.

Sheldon