Frogleg

Default Kosher Salt vs. Table Salt

On 18 Oct 2003 11:57:59 -0700, (Rubystars)
wrote:

>I found a recipe that I really want to try and it calls for kosher
>salt. I was wondering if there was a way to use regular table salt.
>
>I was hoping that someone could tell me how to do a conversion, since
>kosher salt is supposed to be "less salty."
>
>The original recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt. Is it
>possible to maybe just use 1 tablespoon regular salt, or should I not
>even bother and just get kosher salt?

Regular 'table salt' is small-grained and has anti-caking agents and
usually iodine added. Kosher salt is large-grained and has no
additives. 1 for 1 substitution is fine.

>I really don't want to have to buy things I don't necessarily need to,
>but I want the recipe to turn out right.

Kosher salt isn't particularly expensive, and is favored for its
controllability -- that is, a 'pinch' is a pinch, and not a bunch of
stuff sticking to your fingers. Aside from freely flowing out of a
salt shaker, and in my climate I *still* have to keep rice in the
shaker to keep it from glomming together, there's no reason to prefer
table salt for any use. Kosher also is good for a bread or roll
topping.