Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Chargriller Smokin Pro Fire management

On 19-Aug-2007, wrote:

> I just got this thing after looking at all the reviews, I've used it a
> couple of times but I am having trouble getting the unit to get above
> 200degF (90degF outside). I built a charcoal basket for it out of some
> fencing wire which I thought would help to "contain" the charcoal and
> get better heat control, but its not working. The only way I was able
> to get to the target temperature range (225-250) was with log wood.
>
> Any advice for the Smokin' n00b on fire management with charcoal?

The last Smokin Pro I looked at left a lot to be desired in the craftsman-
ship department. Make sure that your lid fits snugly. If it's leaking a lot
of air, you'll never be able to get any decent draft to the fire. Check for
leaks all over the machine. Everything should fit snugly. Some of the
recent smokers I've seen at Lowe's and at Home Depot are sheer junk.
Four years ago there seemed to be plenty of decent smokers. Now it
may be that only the WSM is worth the money and of course that isn't
the offset that you desire.

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)