Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default Chargriller Smokin Pro Fire management

wrote:
> I just got this thing after looking at all the reviews, I've used it a
> couple of times but I am having trouble getting the unit to get above
> 200degF (90degF outside). I built a charcoal basket for it out of some
> fencing wire which I thought would help to "contain" the charcoal and
> get better heat control, but its not working. The only way I was able
> to get to the target temperature range (225-250) was with log wood.
>
> Any advice for the Smokin' n00b on fire management with charcoal?

Looks similar to my NB, which has no trouble getting up to 350 or more. I
put a grate in the bottom of my firebox to let air get under the charcoal.

Does your basket let you put in enough charcoal? Leave the smokestack
damper wide open, leave the firebox damper wide open. A good fire draft
should give you plenty of temperature. Adjust the temp with the firebox
damper. I run 1/8 to 1/4 open for 250 to 300 or so.

~Semper Fi~