Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] mike.newquist@gmail.com is offline

Default Chargriller Smokin Pro Fire management

On Aug 19, 5:23 pm, Dave Turner > wrote:
> Dave Turner wrote:
> > wrote:
> >> I just got this thing after looking at all the reviews, I've used it a
> >> couple of times but I am having trouble getting the unit to get above
> >> 200degF (90degF outside). I built a charcoal basket for it out of some
> >> fencing wire which I thought would help to "contain" the charcoal and
> >> get better heat control, but its not working. The only way I was able
> >> to get to the target temperature range (225-250) was with log wood.

> >> Any advice for the Smokin' n00b on fire management with charcoal?

> > Yipee!!! I'm the first one who gets to ask "What thing?"

> No, seriously, have you got the dampers open? there might be 3 of em
> according to the pic's.

The Chargriller Smokin' Pro has one damper on the side of the fire
box. I've had the damper full open and I'm lucky to hit 200degF. I've
thought about just loading the thing up with charcoal, but then I
thought that too much may starve the fire of needed air.