Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN 2004 Leoville Barton

On Aug 19, 12:06?pm, Ed Rasimus > wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:20:21 -0000, DaleW > wrote:
> >Last night we grilled a huge (3") ribeye as well as some corn,
> >accompanied by a watercress salad.

> Must be a cultural thing, NYC versus fly-over country.
>
> I hope you mean it was 3 inches thick or maybe 3 pounds in weight.
> Here in TX, if someone put a 3" steak on a plate it needs a lot of
> stuff around it to cover for the lack of substance. ;-)
>
> > Wine was the 2004 Ch. Leoville-
> >Barton (St. Julien). Surprisingly open from the git-go (is that a real
> >word?).

> "Git-go" is absolutely a real word. We use it here in Texoma to denote
> the actual commencement point of an activity which we have previously
> said we were "fixin to" do.
>
> >Rich, fleshy, ripe but with an acidic backbone. Tannins are
> >fine and ripe. Mostly cassis fruit, with a note of sweet licorice.
> >Some graphite on the finish. Lovely Medoc with lots of potential, I
> >need to cellar my remaining ones, but wow it's lovely now. Maybe I
> >should get more. I saved one glass for several hours later, still
> >showing fresh and structured,with some mocha notes. Best 2004 I've
> >tried. A-

> Had to look when I saw the subject header. St Julien has always been
> on my short list of approachable and affordable Bdx. Thought you might
> be pressing the infanticide point with an '04, but now will get
> scouting for some while it still might be available on dealer's
> shelves.
>
> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Ed,

I hope you mean it was 3 inches thick or maybe 3 pounds in weight.

It was about 3 inches thick (2.3 pounds). I've been using a Cooks
Illustrated method, reverse of the old sear then bake. Take a thick
steak (or smaller roast) at room temp. Season well. Put in a low
(225?F) oven till temp is about 95-100 (last night I think 25 minutes,
probably had steak a little too cool). Then do a good sear on grill.
Nice crust, usually nicely rare to medium-rare (warm just off-red
center). A tad doner last night, I got lazy and put in oven in a pan
instead of on a roasting rack, one side was grey, though it browned
nicely.

Thought you might be pressing the infanticide point with an '04, but
now will get
scouting for some while it still might be available on dealer's
shelves.

Of course it's infanticide. But my preferred method with Bordeaux is
to try a bottle young (generally with a hunk of red meat to compensate
for tannins) to get a sense of it (and how much more to buy). I'll
try- really I will- to hold others till really ready.