Posted to alt.food.wine
Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] is offline

Default TN Muscadet, Spanish rose, and flawed Bdx blanc

In article . com>,
DaleW > wrote:

> Monday Betsy made a grilled pork loin salad, with arugala, grilled
> pears and walnuts. Cookbook suggested Sauvignon Blanc, I partially
> complied with a blend, the 2002 Plantiers du Haut Brion (Pessac-
> Leognan). Broad structure, some vanilla and coconut over a citrus
> fruit base. But there is an annoying nutty/oxidative note, and I think
> this is a flawed bottle. The cork was dry and cracked as I removed,
> and I think some air got in this. Really couldn't enjoy, and one glass
> was plenty. I'll chalk this one up to fate, but if my other bottle
> shows similarly will take back to retailer for a refund on the second
> one.
>
> Tuesday we went for a light dinner at the home of some friends and
> former neighbors. A nice meze spread of hummus, olives, pizzas, fruit,
> and chicken as well as a cannelli/proscuitto/spinach salad Betsy
> prepared.
>
> 2006 Anados "Care" Rosado
> A rather round and juicy style of rosé, very ripe strawberry jam fruit
> with a little note of flowers. Just a hint of sweetness. This isn't my
> preferred style, but I could see this being very popular. B-
>
> 1995 Luneau-Papin "L D'Or" Muscadet
> I know this is supposed to be in an awkward place, but I found this
> lovely. Wet rocks, seashells, and tonic water over a solid core of
> lime and grapefruit. Plenty of fruit, but a nice vibrant acidity.
> Despite being 12, seems fresh adn young. At the moment this is maybe a
> step behind the '89, and I can see the arguments for aging further,
> but I find this so fun I doubt my remaining bottles last another 6
> years. A-
>
> Nice evening, good to see Yoshi, Liz, and Seiji.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

I had liked the Anados with a different meal of smoked pork shoulder and
potato salad and really liked the rounded style. I thought the acidity
cut through the fattiness of the pork nicely but would have only rated a
B to B+ on the Dale scale. The Luneau-Papin sounds like one to find. May
be a good choice with fresh oysters or clams.