Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Muscadet, Spanish rose, and flawed Bdx blanc

Monday Betsy made a grilled pork loin salad, with arugala, grilled
pears and walnuts. Cookbook suggested Sauvignon Blanc, I partially
complied with a blend, the 2002 Plantiers du Haut Brion (Pessac-
Leognan). Broad structure, some vanilla and coconut over a citrus
fruit base. But there is an annoying nutty/oxidative note, and I think
this is a flawed bottle. The cork was dry and cracked as I removed,
and I think some air got in this. Really couldn't enjoy, and one glass
was plenty. I'll chalk this one up to fate, but if my other bottle
shows similarly will take back to retailer for a refund on the second
one.

Tuesday we went for a light dinner at the home of some friends and
former neighbors. A nice meze spread of hummus, olives, pizzas, fruit,
and chicken as well as a cannelli/proscuitto/spinach salad Betsy
prepared.

2006 Anados "Care" Rosado
A rather round and juicy style of rosé, very ripe strawberry jam fruit
with a little note of flowers. Just a hint of sweetness. This isn't my
preferred style, but I could see this being very popular. B-

1995 Luneau-Papin "L D'Or" Muscadet
I know this is supposed to be in an awkward place, but I found this
lovely. Wet rocks, seashells, and tonic water over a solid core of
lime and grapefruit. Plenty of fruit, but a nice vibrant acidity.
Despite being 12, seems fresh adn young. At the moment this is maybe a
step behind the '89, and I can see the arguments for aging further,
but I find this so fun I doubt my remaining bottles last another 6
years. A-

Nice evening, good to see Yoshi, Liz, and Seiji.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article . com>,
DaleW > wrote:

> Monday Betsy made a grilled pork loin salad, with arugala, grilled
> pears and walnuts. Cookbook suggested Sauvignon Blanc, I partially
> complied with a blend, the 2002 Plantiers du Haut Brion (Pessac-
> Leognan). Broad structure, some vanilla and coconut over a citrus
> fruit base. But there is an annoying nutty/oxidative note, and I think
> this is a flawed bottle. The cork was dry and cracked as I removed,
> and I think some air got in this. Really couldn't enjoy, and one glass
> was plenty. I'll chalk this one up to fate, but if my other bottle
> shows similarly will take back to retailer for a refund on the second
> one.
>
> Tuesday we went for a light dinner at the home of some friends and
> former neighbors. A nice meze spread of hummus, olives, pizzas, fruit,
> and chicken as well as a cannelli/proscuitto/spinach salad Betsy
> prepared.
>
> 2006 Anados "Care" Rosado
> A rather round and juicy style of rosé, very ripe strawberry jam fruit
> with a little note of flowers. Just a hint of sweetness. This isn't my
> preferred style, but I could see this being very popular. B-
>
> 1995 Luneau-Papin "L D'Or" Muscadet
> I know this is supposed to be in an awkward place, but I found this
> lovely. Wet rocks, seashells, and tonic water over a solid core of
> lime and grapefruit. Plenty of fruit, but a nice vibrant acidity.
> Despite being 12, seems fresh adn young. At the moment this is maybe a
> step behind the '89, and I can see the arguments for aging further,
> but I find this so fun I doubt my remaining bottles last another 6
> years. A-
>
> Nice evening, good to see Yoshi, Liz, and Seiji.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

I had liked the Anados with a different meal of smoked pork shoulder and
potato salad and really liked the rounded style. I thought the acidity
cut through the fattiness of the pork nicely but would have only rated a
B to B+ on the Dale scale. The Luneau-Papin sounds like one to find. May
be a good choice with fresh oysters or clams.

TN: 2 still roses, 1 Pet Nat rose, and a Rully blanc by the Hudson DaleW Wine 0 07-07-2016 06:18 PM
TN: Back to NY- Bdx, Bandol rose, bubbles, Riesling, Muscadet, Mencia DaleW Wine 0 31-12-2015 05:26 PM
TN Aldi Spanish Rose JT Wine 1 12-07-2010 05:05 PM
TN: strange matches- ragu with rose, Muscadet with grilled chicken,Chassagne with Asian fish DaleW Wine 18 30-08-2009 10:47 AM
TN: good wines, a Minervois rose and a Rully blanc DaleW Wine 5 01-05-2009 03:31 PM