Steve W

Default Reliable baking stone for home use

* Dick Adams > 2003-10-01:
> When it comes to taste, persons
> having a good sense of it are bound to excel in discussions where taste
> is a parameter.

Unfortunate that taste is so subjective, but flavor is still the most
important quality. Nowdays most supermarkets (at
least in my area) are capable of pumping out large quantities of
beautiful loaves that taste something like cardboard.

> I do not
> think that the oven humidity obtained with the various steaming tricks
> proposed to home bakers by book writers, and by r.f.s. advice givers,
> counts for much.

Based on what? Your personal experience with your own oven? Not a very
broad sample. I say adequate steam can easily be generated in home ovens,
at least electric ones. And that the flavor improvement obtained by
properly steaming the loaves is large enough to be obvious to the most
casual observer. If you can't taste the difference you aren't using
adequate steam.

--
Steve W
s (dot) wal (at) verizon (dot) net