Posted to rec.food.equipment
Kent Kent is offline

Default pizza stone for outdoor grill??

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>> My problem has been that I have cracked three pizza stones. I'm trying to
>> solve that and the best idea I've come up with so far is to shield the
>> bottom of the stone from the fire with a metal pan of some sort. I'm
>> still struggling, however.
>>
>> Kent,> constantly struggling to live with his level of ignorance.
>>

> Dear Kent,
> If you have read the posting that a poster gave you regarding FibraMent,
> what is your objection to it?
> Have you called them to ally your concerns?
> http://www.bakingstone.com/grilling.php

> Because no baking stone can be exposed directly to flame, FibraMent for
> Grills includes a protective metal pan. FibraMent is placed in the metal
> pan while it bakes your favorite pizza.
> Unquote.
>
> I'd be considering this product very seriously and quit struggling ;-)
>
> Dee, who bakes thin pizza in conventional oven, getting stones to 600º and
> who takes bread baking and pizza making quite seriously.
>
> Best of luck.

AT $64, or whatever for the Fibrament, and the limited frequency that I
leave the kitchen to do this, it's not worth it. Dee, what kind of
preferment do you use for your pizza, if any? Do you try to mimick Italian
00 flour, or do you just use "all purpose"? What is your water to flour
ratio? I like a long ferment, and a wet dough, like dough for Ciabatta,
which is one reason directly grilling on the grill isn't too easy.
What prompted this thread is that for the thin crust Margherita the extra
100F really made a difference. I make almost all pizza in the oven on the
preheated stone.
Cheers

Kent