Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default Danny Kaye Changed Family Life By Cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:26:08 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>Heh, aren't you glad you took the effort to move them?

> The only fighting Louise and I have done in years was about what
> "stuff" should be thrown out or given away. We've been slowly moving
> little stuff for months not really paying attention to how much was
> really here. We went out of town for a weekend and came back to an
> offer with 15 days until closing. The inspector found a bunch of
> nit-wit things that needed to be fixed so we didn't have much time for
> the final sort.

That'll do it, when push comes to shove, just get it out.

>>I have toyed with the idea of moving and looked around thinking, what
>>would I
>>bring? because I have a lot of stuff I would not bother taking.

> Emotions run deep when it comes to saving "stuff."

I've encountered this phenomenon, sometimes guilty of it, too.
I know I don't *need* this, I still want it. Sentimental reasons.

> You remember how
> much you wanted it and how much it cost. Even though you forgot you
> even had "it" you don't want to part with it. We filled a ten yard
> dumpster twice and made 5-6 trips to a non-profit resale store.

Yikes.

> Two
> of our kids are striking out on their own so many of the duplicates
> are being relocated. Most of it is kitchen stuff. It's funny that
> when they are on their own cooking for themselves makes more sense.
> One got a whole set of nice SS cookware. The happy glimmer in her
> eyes was amusing.

That's really nice. It's not like you're tossing it. Half my stuff I'd be
happy to lose if I knew someone who wanted them.

>>I hope you are enjoying your new place.

> More than you can imagine. It's really not a new place. When we met
> we both had homes and bought another that was for "us" as we had
> children from previous marriages and didn't want to force the
> teenagers to live together. My kid stayed in my place and I spent
> time with Louise. Her kids moved on so we sold her house and both
> stay at mine now. The place we bought together is a 1300 sq.ft.
> "cottage" out in the country. We're both to young to completely
> retire so we need to keep a city place to make a living, but we spend
> as much time out there as possible. It's our retreat and when we go
> there I cook for days.

I liked that story, thanks.

nancy