A.T. Hagan

Default Refrigeration question -- Apple Crisp

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:52:43 GMT, "Bob Travis" >
wrote:

>Please let me know if this is not the right newsgroup for this question.
>
>My mother-in-law says that due to the high sugar content an apple crisp
>dessert does not need to be refrigerated for the first day after cooking.
>She says that if she made it just after breakfast and serves it just after
>supper it will be safe to eat that evening and it needn't be refrigerated
>until after it is served after supper.
>
>I said any cooked food will start harboring bacteria just as soon as it
>begins to cool, so she should have refrigerated it shortly after breakfast
>and after supper she should only have warmed up what she anticipated we
>would eat and kept the rest refrigerated.
>
>Well she got all huffy and picked up her apple crisp and went home. My
>thinking was, "Good riddens," but my wife asked me if I was absolutely sure
>that it needed to be refrigerated and if there was any truth to her mom's
>comment about the apple crisp's high sugar content making it so no
>refrigeration is necessary the first day after cooking?
>
>I said, "No, I'm not sure and maybe she really knows what she was talking
>about." My wife then said, "Well, you better find out because if you are
>wrong and she is right then you owe mom an apology." I said, "Okay, I'll get
>on the web and find out."
>
>I looked and looked and the best I could find was that apple crisp keeps for
>three days WITH refrigeration. I could not find anything which specified how
>long it could go without refrigeration on the day it was prepared.
>
>I am hoping someone here knows or can tell me where to look. I want to know
>if who was right and who was wrong.
>
>Thanks for a clue.
>
>Bob

Time to make up with mama, Bob.

I suppose if she'd put whipped cream on top of it you'd want to
refrigerate it right away, but that apple crisp isn't going to spoil
left out on the counter for a day, even two, even here in Florida.

By the third day here in Florida in the summer I'd give it a good
sniff test first.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -