Posted to alt.food.wine
st.helier[_1_] st.helier[_1_] is offline

Default Never tasted a Pinot Noir ...

"Lawrence Leichtman" wrote ...........

> Unfortunately with Pinot Noir you get what you pay for. This
> particular varietal is fragile and not a big producer so the cost
> for good ones is always going to be high.

Larry, I am not sure if I agree.

In my experience, Pinot Noir certainly is not fragile - but IT IS very
particular as to the it's optimum growing conditions, to enable the making
of quality wines.

Firstly, PN seems to require a growing environment offer a wide diurnal
temperature range - ideally 30degrC days and 5degrC nights - something
that either altitude in Ca or the northerly latitudes of Oregon offer.

It is also quite averse to humidity of any great degree, and certainly does
prefer a little lime in/under the soil.

I also take issue with your statement that PN is "not a big producer" - in
my experience, certain clones can crop up to ten tonnes per hectare -
however, I do accept that it is an expensive variety to grow, and that the
cost of producing a quality "new world" Pinot certainly does result in
prices much higher than (say) Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah.

One think I do not despite - yes, good Pinot is never cheap, and cheap
Pinot is seldom good,

--

st.helier