Posted to alt.food.wine
Paul E. Lehmann Paul E. Lehmann is offline

Default Lunch Wines

Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

> In article

.com>,
> Dee Dee > wrote:
>
>> On Jul 14, 11:38 am, Ed Rasimus
>> > wrote:
>>

>> > Then I found it in some Fife Petite Syrah
>> > and even a Ridge Zin. Typically the dill
>> > comes on strong shortly after opening and
>> > then will abate or blow off in a bit of time
>> > or with some swirling.
>> >
>> > Is this a trend, a manifestation of terroir,
>> > a chemical reaction, a wine-maker
>> > intent/error?

>> I was reading some different tastes in a
>> particular wine within the
>> last week that did say there was a taste of
>> dill. (Can't remember, of course, where.)
>>
>> So, my question is, is dill a common taste that
>> previously has been
>> noted in reviews? Or rarely?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dee Dee

> Sometimes I see with California wines especially
> cabs notes of dill or mint that I think may be
> eucalyptus.

The "Dill" could be mercaptans - not a plus - or
it could be hard tannins.

I am always amused by the descriptors of wine.

Most of the sensory descriptors used to describe a
wine come from the cooperage and or spoilage
organisms and NOT from the grape itself.

How many have tasted a wine aged in stainless and
with the proper amounts of SO2 to prevent
spoilage??? My guess is not many.

Without this experience, one really does not know
the difference between the characteristics of the
wine or the cooperage and or "Other"
contributors.

I grow my own wine and have been making wine for
decades. This is an invaluable experience and I
wish more could or would enjoy.