Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy Space Cowboy is offline

Default China reds vs Indian reds color

Excellent observation. I don't think it has been brought up before.
I don't have a clue. But I will say the 'red' color between Indian-
Ceylon-Africa teas and the traditional Chinese red teas is quite
noticeable. The Indians are tan brown and Chinese almost a blood
red. I think what you see is absorption of this difference due to
curdling. Another possibility are the tannin levels which would act
as a pigment with the milk. I'd pay attention to the 'slick' or
'sheen' that can be seen on the tea surface in reflected light. I'd
guess the Indian teas are producing more and the Chinese less just
because Indian teas are good for one pot and the Chinese reds possibly
more than one.

Jim

PS I drink my teas nude and sometimes that way myself but I'm darn
careful.