Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.drink,nyc.food,ba.food,alt.california
Dana Myers Dana Myers is offline

Default What's in Wine--you don't wanna know -- Vinovation's Smith Scoffsat Noxious wine-additives Spi suggestions

Steve Pope wrote:
> I'm not sure one can legally add CONCENTRATED grape juice
> to wine must in California. Regular grape juice, yes.

I believe this is the relevant regulation:

http://www.wineinstitute.org/industr.../dhs_17010.htm

Also see: http://tinyurl.com/3xc8md

The following provisions shall apply to wines produced in California:

(a) Sugar Use. No sugar, or material containing sugar, other than
pure condensed grape must, and no water in excess of the minimum
amount necessary to facilitate normal fermentation, may be used
in the production or cellar treatment of any grape wine ...

Note that "condensed grape must" is explicitly legal. If not, the
wineries would be more careful to hide those blue barrels...

DAna