Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathleen[_4_] Kathleen[_4_] is offline

Default Good uses for skim milk?

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> DH accidentally picked up a carton of fat-free lactose-free milk when
> I usually drink 2%... since it's not 'regular' milk it's way too
> expensive to waste, but I haven't found anything to use it on that's
> remotely edible. It even made chocolate milk taste like it was made
> with water! Are there any recipes that will successfully disguise its
> blue watery blandness or should I just toss it out?

Never had the lactose-free version, but skim milk is the norm around
here. I grew up on 2% and can stomach it if necessary but the kids
think it's flat out disgusting: "It's, like, too thick, or something".

When my parents were advised to switch to skim for health reasons they
found it helpful initially to drink it very cold, and out of white
containers which disguised the look of the stuff. Keeping several
large, white stoneware mugs in the freezer was helpful.

My 12 year-old son is in the middle of a growth spurt and consumes
nearly a gallon of skim milk daily. He seems to have struck an
accomodation between activity, growth and intake that I hate to disturb;
every morning it seems like there's another half inch between his shorts
and his knees; but I wish we still had milk men to deliver dairy
products on a daily basis so I wasn't either over-crowding the fridge or
running to the store every day.