Old 12-07-2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good uses for skim milk?

DH accidentally picked up a carton of fat-free lactose-free milk when
I usually drink 2%... since it's not 'regular' milk it's way too
expensive to waste, but I haven't found anything to use it on that's
remotely edible. It even made chocolate milk taste like it was made
with water! Are there any recipes that will successfully disguise its
blue watery blandness or should I just toss it out?

Old 12-07-2007, 03:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 9:42 am, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
DH accidentally picked up a carton of fat-free lactose-free milk when
I usually drink 2%... since it's not 'regular' milk it's way too
expensive to waste, but I haven't found anything to use it on that's
remotely edible. It even made chocolate milk taste like it was made
with water! Are there any recipes that will successfully disguise its
blue watery blandness or should I just toss it out?

Add cream to it, one glass at a time and stir.

--Bryan

Old 12-07-2007, 04:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit said...

DH accidentally picked up a carton of fat-free lactose-free milk when
I usually drink 2%... since it's not 'regular' milk it's way too
expensive to waste, but I haven't found anything to use it on that's
remotely edible. It even made chocolate milk taste like it was made
with water! Are there any recipes that will successfully disguise its
blue watery blandness or should I just toss it out?

You can certainly return it, no questions asked.

I use fat-free milk for breakfast cereal. I've never had the lactose-free.

Maybe use some for the milk portion of mashed potatoes? If that's not
breaking a food law.

Andy
Old 12-07-2007, 04:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 10:07 am, Andy q wrote:
Karen AKA Kajikit said...

DH accidentally picked up a carton of fat-free lactose-free milk when
I usually drink 2%... since it's not 'regular' milk it's way too
expensive to waste, but I haven't found anything to use it on that's
remotely edible. It even made chocolate milk taste like it was made
with water! Are there any recipes that will successfully disguise its
blue watery blandness or should I just toss it out?

You can certainly return it, no questions asked.

I use fat-free milk for breakfast cereal. I've never had the lactose-free.

Maybe use some for the milk portion of mashed potatoes? If that's not
breaking a food law.

Really. Because you'll be adding butter as well. Good idea.

Andy

--Bryan

Old 12-07-2007, 05:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:42:53 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
wrote:

DH accidentally picked up a carton of fat-free lactose-free milk when
I usually drink 2%... since it's not 'regular' milk it's way too
expensive to waste, but I haven't found anything to use it on that's
remotely edible. It even made chocolate milk taste like it was made
with water! Are there any recipes that will successfully disguise its
blue watery blandness or should I just toss it out?

I wonder how it would do in pancakes or waffles. Maybe use it in a
smoothie with lots of sweet fruit and vanilla yogurt.

Tara

Old 12-07-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

DH accidentally picked up a carton of fat-free lactose-free milk when
I usually drink 2%... since it's not 'regular' milk it's way too
expensive to waste, but I haven't found anything to use it on that's
remotely edible. It even made chocolate milk taste like it was made
with water! Are there any recipes that will successfully disguise its
blue watery blandness or should I just toss it out?

I wonder how it would do in pancakes or waffles. Maybe use it in a
smoothie with lots of sweet fruit and vanilla yogurt.

I used some of it in oatmeal and that was okay - I added half a stick
of butter instead of a teaspoon... I just looked at the carton and
a)there's only half of it left, and b)it's past the expiry date, so I
think I'll just toss the rest out. I was just wondering if there were
any recipes that would be really great with skim milk (I guess not!)
Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
GD GD is offline

wrote:

DH accidentally picked up a carton of fat-free lactose-free milk when
I usually drink 2%... since it's not 'regular' milk it's way too
expensive to waste, but I haven't found anything to use it on that's
remotely edible. It even made chocolate milk taste like it was made
with water! Are there any recipes that will successfully disguise its
blue watery blandness or should I just toss it out?

I wonder how it would do in pancakes or waffles. Maybe use it in a
smoothie with lots of sweet fruit and vanilla yogurt.

I used some of it in oatmeal and that was okay - I added half a stick
of butter instead of a teaspoon... I just looked at the carton and
a)there's only half of it left, and b)it's past the expiry date, so I
think I'll just toss the rest out. I was just wondering if there were
any recipes that would be really great with skim milk (I guess not!)

Just drink it! Skim milk is much better for you

Old 12-07-2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
DH accidentally picked up a carton of fat-free lactose-free milk when
I usually drink 2%... since it's not 'regular' milk it's way too
expensive to waste, but I haven't found anything to use it on that's
remotely edible. It even made chocolate milk taste like it was made
with water! Are there any recipes that will successfully disguise its
blue watery blandness or should I just toss it out?

How 'bout homemade cottage cheese? Here's Alton Brown's take:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...ml?rsrc=search

Old 12-07-2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 9:42 am, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
DH accidentally picked up a carton of fat-free lactose-free milk when
I usually drink 2%... since it's not 'regular' milk it's way too
expensive to waste, but I haven't found anything to use it on that's
remotely edible. It even made chocolate milk taste like it was made
with water! Are there any recipes that will successfully disguise its
blue watery blandness or should I just toss it out?

Your taste buds are certainly different from mine; that's all I drink
and usually all I cook with (unless it's a recipe that demands
cream). I have no problems whatsoever. I love the taste (or lack
of). I can't stand the cloying cream taste of even 2% milk. Chocolate
milk with skim milk is the best! ;-)

OTOH, I've never had the lactose-intolerant stuff; maybe it's
different from regular skim.

N.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
DH accidentally picked up a carton of fat-free lactose-free milk when
I usually drink 2%... since it's not 'regular' milk it's way too
expensive to waste, but I haven't found anything to use it on that's
remotely edible. It even made chocolate milk taste like it was made
with water! Are there any recipes that will successfully disguise its
blue watery blandness or should I just toss it out?

I wonder how it would do in pancakes or waffles. Maybe use it in a
smoothie with lots of sweet fruit and vanilla yogurt.

Tara

People, people, you can use skim milk in any recipe that uses milk and
doesn't require heavy cream! Wake up! {slap slap} No wonder we're
33% obese!

N.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
DH accidentally picked up a carton of fat-free lactose-free milk when
I usually drink 2%... since it's not 'regular' milk it's way too
expensive to waste, but I haven't found anything to use it on that's
remotely edible. It even made chocolate milk taste like it was made
with water! Are there any recipes that will successfully disguise its
blue watery blandness or should I just toss it out?

Oatmeal or other hot cereal that usually calls for water.

gloria p
Old 13-07-2007, 02:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

People, people, you can use skim milk in any recipe that uses milk and
doesn't require heavy cream! Wake up! {slap slap} No wonder we're
33% obese!

N.

I agree. I was raised on skim milk and to drink anything else is like
drinking pure cream.
I use it for everything, although when fixing a special dinner with
mashed potatoes or scalloped potatoes..a cream sauce or something, I
will buy a small carton of whole milk to use in those occasional recipes.
Old 13-07-2007, 02:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
DH accidentally picked up a carton of fat-free lactose-free milk when
I usually drink 2%... since it's not 'regular' milk it's way too
expensive to waste, but I haven't found anything to use it on that's
remotely edible. It even made chocolate milk taste like it was made
with water! Are there any recipes that will successfully disguise its
blue watery blandness or should I just toss it out?

I wonder how it would do in pancakes or waffles. Maybe use it in a
smoothie with lots of sweet fruit and vanilla yogurt.

Tara

People, people, you can use skim milk in any recipe that uses milk and
doesn't require heavy cream! Wake up! {slap slap} No wonder we're
33% obese!

Eating fat doesn't make people fat. Eating calories makes people
fat. Fat suppresses appetite. High GI carbs make people ravenously
hungry a few hours later.
Dry baked potato is about as bad as anything could possibly be, and
the obese people out there are the ones who stuff themselves full of
the stuff in the aisles of the supermarket, not the stuff on the
perimeter (produce*, meat, dairy).
Skim milk is like Kool-Aid with a teaspoon of protein powder added.

*Starchy stuff like white potatoes excepted

N.

--Bryan

Old 13-07-2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

People, people, you can use skim milk in any recipe that uses milk and
doesn't require heavy cream! Wake up! {slap slap} No wonder we're
33% obese!

Eating fat doesn't make people fat. Eating calories makes people
fat. Fat suppresses appetite. High GI carbs make people ravenously
hungry a few hours later.
Dry baked potato is about as bad as anything could possibly be, and
the obese people out there are the ones who stuff themselves full of
the stuff in the aisles of the supermarket, not the

Many of the obese people out there eat things that are not healthy
because those items are filling and less expensive. That includes
potatoes (your example) and other stuff like mac 'n cheese, etc. Many
of these people (not all) have no choice about what kind of food
budget they have.

*Starchy stuff like white potatoes excepted

I don't know if you're right or not; I know your statement is the
premise of one of the most recent fad diets.

I DO know that eating fat isn't good for anyone's arteries or heart
health, and I'll never be convinced that fat intake doesn't contribute
to obesity.

N.

Old 13-07-2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 13, 10:33 am, Nancy2 wrote:
[...]

Low carb isn't a fad diet.

I DO know that eating fat isn't good for anyone's arteries or heart
health, and I'll never be convinced that fat intake doesn't contribute
to obesity.

Depends on the variety of fat. If one cuts carbs down to under 200
calories a day, and ups consumption of GOOD fats, those being a
certain amount of Omega 3s, a lot of monounsaturates like olive and
peanut oils, some of the neutral saturated fats like cocoa butter,
even if you allow yourself things like chicken skin, and yes, some
less healthy butterfat, you will cut your plasma triglycerides
dramatically. You will also not harm your HDL/LDL ratio.

The ketogenic diet is not new, it's not even only 35-40 years old. It
was not, as many believe, invented by Dr. Atkins.

"The ketogenic diet is a high fat, adequate protein, low carbohydrate
diet designed to mimic many of the biochemical changes associated with
prolonged starvation. First developed in the early 1900s, and
successfully used for the treatment of seizures in children during the
20s and 30s...The ketogenic diet is not a 'fad' or a 'quack diet'..."
source-- http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/ketogenic.html

In fact, one of the (potentially undesirable) side effects (not
mentioned in the above website) is weight loss.

Bodybuilders use a technique called "cyclic ketogenic" to get rid of
body fat so you can see their muscle definition.

N.

--Bryan