Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally Kate Connally is offline

Default storing fresh corn

mary wrote:

> On Jul 3, 5:06 pm, mary > wrote:
>
>>On Jul 3, 4:26 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
>>

>>>if you buy corn on the cob and circumstances dictate that you can't
>>>cook it until the next day, should you refrigerate it or leave it out?
>>>does cold accelerate the sugar to starch process, or slow it down?

>>>thanks.

>>>your pal,
>>>blake

>>actually, if you keep the corn in the husks and retain in the bag you
>>purchased it in (or similiar bag), the moisture created in the 'fridge
>>(particulary the crisper) will create a moist environment (as
>>everything in nature basically consists of water) which stops the corn
>>from drying out - it should keep it fresh for at least four or five
>>days. by the way does anyone have a recipe for Eccles cakes?

> no, it takes rather a long while to break the starch down to sugar -
> veggies are living plants, and require water - if you keep the husks
> on, the plants draw the moisture out slowly - probably at a rate
> whereby their cellular material is maintained, but not enough to
> ferment the sugars, i.e. create an environment for bacteria and
> fungi. just like chemistry: try it and see.

Actually it's the other way around - sugar turns to starch!
The younger the corn it the sweeter it is. As it gets older
the sugar turns to starch. I always buy the youngest corn
I can find. And I only buy it from roadside stands where I
know the farmers in the area. I ask them to pick me out
some young ears.

Kate

--
Kate Connally