Puester

Default Refrigeration question -- Apple Crisp

Bob Travis wrote:

> All I can tell you for sure is my wife and I lived with her mom the first
> two years we were married and after we moved out and began cooking more of
> our own meals I rarely got stomach aches and associated problems again, but
> when we lived with her mom they were a fairly regular occurrence. Every time
> we sat down to dinner I felt like I was playing Russian Roulette. Will
> tonight be another one of those nights in the john, or is everything going
> to be okay this time. The general rule was if we went shopping together and
> fixed dinner soon after we got home, usually everything was okay. But if we
> were having leftovers the best I could do was say a prayer and hope for the
> best.
>
> Bob

Oldtimers had a theory that chilling a hot food too quickly would
cause it to "sour". I suspect this came from the days of iceboxes
when they didn't want the hot foods causing the ice to melt too
quickly. I know my grandmother always let foods cool to room
temp before refrigerating.

> P.S. There is something about elderly people and salt too. Just as they are
> getting to the age where high sodium intake should be a consideration, it
> seems they use about 5x more salt than seems reasonable, so much salt that
> even if you're eating the brown off her fried chicken it tastes more like
> the crumbs at the bottom of a very salty bag of potato chips.

Older people's sense of taste diminishes so they need to make
things spicier/saltier so they can taste the seasoning.
And there are people here who will argue against the concept
of salt contributing to high blood pressure, cholesterol contributing
to heart disease, etc.

gloria p