Nancy Dooley

Default Refrigeration question -- Apple Crisp

"Bob Travis" > wrote in message

> All I can tell you for sure is my wife and I lived with her mom the first
> two years we were married and after we moved out and began cooking more of
> our own meals I rarely got stomach aches and associated problems again, but
> when we lived with her mom they were a fairly regular occurrence. Every time
> we sat down to dinner I felt like I was playing Russian Roulette. Will
> tonight be another one of those nights in the john, or is everything going
> to be okay this time. The general rule was if we went shopping together and
> fixed dinner soon after we got home, usually everything was okay. But if we
> were having leftovers the best I could do was say a prayer and hope for the
> best.

I find myself more sensitive to certain things than other people - if
the ground beef is more than a day old when I cook it, I'm taking a
chance on spending a lot of time in the bathroom - OTOH, others in my
family don't have that problem.

My ex-in-laws (both died of old age) used to fry chicken and leave it
out on the back of the cooling stove all night - never had any
problems. I couldn't/wouldn't do that on a bet. They probably had
more tolerance built up over the years.

> Bob
>
> P.S. There is something about elderly people and salt too. Just as they are
> getting to the age where high sodium intake should be a consideration, it
> seems they use about 5x more salt than seems reasonable, so much salt that
> even if you're eating the brown off her fried chicken it tastes more like
> the crumbs at the bottom of a very salty bag of potato chips.

As aging continues, most people lose some of their senses of smell and
taste - they add more salt because they can't taste less salt, so to
speak.

N.

P.S. I always refrigerate apple crisp and apple pie after it's served
- I wouldn't worry about it sitting out from baking to dinner - BUT,
neither has any dairy (or eggs) in it (except butter, and that doesn't
count ;-)