Posted to alt.food.wine
James Dempster James Dempster is offline

Default Am I the only person who hates Australian wine?

On 25 Jun 2007 05:21:23 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

>In article >,

>says...
>>
>>I am not a wine snob. I like all kinds of wine: French, Italian,
>>Spanish, Californian, Bulgarian, Chilean... all except Australian.
>>
>>YECCCHHH!
>>
>>It always has this rancid, "sweet and sour" taste. OK, it gets you
>>drunk, provided you can keep it down.
>>
>>If anyone out there knows of a really good Ossie wine that might
>>change my views, please let me know.
>>
>>Until then, I'll stick with Chateauneuf du Pape, Spanish Rioja or
>>Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon.

>Unfortunately, in the UK, you are limited in you selections of OZ and US
>wines. OTOH, you DO get some great FR, ES and other European wines. Based on
>the OZ offerings, that I have had in the UK, I tend to agree with you. Based
>on what I have encountered from the US, I understand why folk in the UK might
>think that all US wine is dreck!

Yes, we are limited if you only shop in supermarkets where most of the
Australian wine these days is made down to a price, but I can easily
source Grange, St Henri, RWT, 707, 389, Wynn's Michael and John
Riddoch all from Tesco.

Majestic can do Torbreck "The Descendant" if you have the cash.
Oddbins have 707 and Dead Arm (and most of Chester's other offerings)

The traditional UK wine merchants aren't at all averse to stocking
good Australian wine either. I've got some 2004 Yarra Yering Dry Red
No1 (Parker 95-100) sitting in storage at a UK wine merchant.
Thankfully bought en primeur before Mr P scored it. It's also possible
to find some interesting Australian boutique wines if you look.

James
James Dempster

You know you've had a good night
when you wake up