Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Am I the only person who hates Australian wine?

Confused wrote:
> I am not a wine snob. I like all kinds of wine: French, Italian,
> Spanish, Californian, Bulgarian, Chilean... all except Australian.
>
> YECCCHHH!
>
> It always has this rancid, "sweet and sour" taste. OK, it gets you
> drunk, provided you can keep it down.
>
> If anyone out there knows of a really good Ossie wine that might
> change my views, please let me know.
>
> Until then, I'll stick with Chateauneuf du Pape, Spanish Rioja or
> Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon.

There is a world of difference between "Old World" and "New World"
wines, with the former being less fruit-driven than the latter. But the
fact that you like Chilean Cabs and Californian wines would seem to
indicate that that isn't where your problems arise. Also, your
description of what you encounter in them would tend to suggest other
explanations, too. Since you appear to be in the UK, what Aussie wines
have you based this conclusion on? Is it possible that you've only been
exposed to their plonk and haven't yet had one of the better examples?
I am not a big fan of many Aussie wines, either, because I find them too
"gobby" (jammy fruit and lacking in acidity) to pair with food.
However, I have enjoyed certain of Penfolds wines, especially their Bin
389 Cab-Shiraz and their Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz, so maybe try one if you
haven't already.

Good luck!
Mark Lipton