Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jebediah Kornworthy[_3_] Jebediah Kornworthy[_3_] is offline

Default Tri Tip questions

"Tutall" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 9, 9:16 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 20:57:03 -0700, Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:

>> > Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try to cook it that way but what is
>> > medium
>> > heat? Approximately? What temperature is that?

>> I don't know. Let call it 'hot'. Less than the temperature
>> you'd cook a steak on the grill.

> On my grill I use a normal fire but lower the fire grate to the second
> rung down. Use the top one for steaks and the bottom one for chicken.
> I use the same rung for pork tenderloins if that helps. Put the tri-
> tip directly over the fire. It gets a black singe on the non fatty
> side, which more often than not is both sides now adays that those
> mofo's trim all the fat off.
> I used to put the meat off to the side of the fire, but like these
> guys say, that results in tought meat. Direct is the way to go!
>
> My favorite marinade for tri-tip:
>
> 1/2 cup soy sauce
> Several Shakes Lawery's Seasoned pepper <----key ingredient
> 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
> 1/8th cup cooking oil
> 2-3 (more?) cloves garlic, minced
> 2 Tbs powdered ginger
>
> marinade 2 hours or as much as overnight

Tutall,

Many thanks for the input and the Marinade recipe. I would have
tried your marinade but I already had my marinating when I wrote the
original post. I got some Interesting advice and will let everyone know how
things work out..

Jeb