Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Will Yardley Will Yardley is offline

Default An invitation and some inf re Space Cowboy

On 2007-06-06, pgwk > wrote:

> So, here is the challenge. You have an audience of newbies, You - I -
> want them to leave elated and converts. What would you serve them? I
> will have the chance to serve them any teas, with plenty of staff in
> the black jackets and white gloves. It's a one-time opportunity so I
> need to get it right. Again, what would YOU offer?

> I've decided to keep it simple and offer just two blacks, two oolong,
> two greens, two whites plus a couple of "theatricals."

Well just keep in mind that everyone has different tastes; I've often
been surprised by the teas that people like (and don't like), so try not
to have too strong a preconceived notion of what someone's going to
like.

You also might want to have some herbal tisanes of some sort for people
who don't do caffeine.

And if most people are going to be trying most of the teas, you'd want
to think about the order you serve them in.

> Here's my current choices, with a few comments as to why:

Darjeeling - might be interesting to do one that's not a "true"
black - one of the estate first flushes that's more like an oolong. But
that would be very similar to an Oriental Beauty.

> Oolongs:
> 3. Iron Goddess, again obviously; safe and good.

Not to be too nit-picky, but in my understanding, "goddess" is a kind of
poor translation; Guan Yin is a particular bodhisattva, which is not
really the same thing as a goddess, though that might be the closest
translation to English. Tie Guan Yin most likely refers to an iron
statue of the bodhisattva "Guan Yin". You'll see it translated various
ways

I think this is a good choice; my suggestion is a medium to dark roast
one, rather than a greener one.

Since I think you said you're in NYC, I would strongly recommend that
you go visit Tea Gallery, if you haven't already - Michael and Winnie
can probably recommend (and sell you) some good teas, and on top of
that, might be willing to either speak or recommend someone who can.
Even if you don't want to use them as your only source, I think you'd be
well advised to talk to them about the event you're planning.
http://theteagallery.com/

Rather than a full cake of an "affordable" pu'erh, you might try to find
a smaller piece of a less affordable, but better cake.