George Shirley

Default Sauerkraut

bassboat wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message

>>>How do you eat the cores? Just slice and eat? (I'll be
>>>growing cabbage this year.)
>>>
>>>I've always thrown the cores away, but I won't do it anymore
>>>if we're missing something good....
>>>
>>>Pat

>>We usually eat them raw. Since a head of cabbage, steamed, will feed the
>>two of us for about four meals we don't have a lot of cores. They have a
>>slightly peppery taste, aka mild heat to them. The dog will actually
>>start dancing and begging if she smells the cabbage being cut up.
>>
>>I have sliced them into rounds and tossed them into the stir fry when
>>I'm also stir frying chopped cabbage. Stir fried they still have the
>>crunchy peppery taste. My kids never liked them but DW and I have always
>>eaten the heart of cabbage, most often as a crunchy snack.
>>
>>Today I am dehydrating another eight trays of flat leaf parsley. Sat
>>around last night watching TV, clipping the leaves off and chewing on
>>the stems. Waste not want not. <BG>
>>
>>George

> My dog also loves cabbage cores. He like just about any kind of raw
> vegetable. I have been feeding him raw carrots for about 9 months now. He
> was overweight and the vet suggesyed feeding him carrots instead of dog
> treats. He loves them and he is now at his proper weight of 90 pounds. He
> eats about 5 pounds of carrots a week. At $1.99 for 5 pounds its a lot
> cheaper than dog treats -
>
> John

My dog loves veggies, raw or cooked. She sometimes harvest her own
broccoli if there's any hanging close to the edge of the garden. She
knows not to go in there without permission. She hangs right around
18-20 lbs depending on the season of the year. Sleepy Dawg (that's her
middle name you know, Dawg) is a soon to be eight year old Rat Terrier
and is the terrifier of squirrels and cats. The neighbors Great Dane is
so afraid of her he won't even get close to the fence when she's out.

George